Wednesday 26 September 2012

Vintage Rally and Steam Fair

Many of you may not be aware of this but I am actually a massive geek...

On Sunday I fueled my geekness by visiting the Kettering Vintage Rally and Steam fair. So you're probably wondering what the hell I was geeking over. Traction Engines. Yep, that is steam engines. Not trains, I don't like trains, just traction engines, or steam rollers. I am aware this is a little strange but I love them! I've been slightly obsessed with them ever since I was small, I'm not really sure why but it seems to have stuck. So on Sunday I dragged my family along (they're used to my obsession by now you see so don't mind accompanying me!)

It was actually a really good fair, there were loads of antique stalls full of interesting old bits to poke around at, and there were loads of vintage cars and vans which were really cool. Whenever I go to one of these things it makes me want to swap my car for a cool old one. Like a Cadillac or something. I saw two of the best camper vans I've ever seen. Since buying a van in Australia with my friends and driving around in it, I can't wait to get another one, ours was an old Toyota Hiace with a pop up roof, but it died in Litchfield National Park on a big hill... One of these two would definitely be a suitable replacement!











I probably wouldn't paint it pink, but that's easily rectifiable!






Here are some more pictures of the things that caught the attention of my eyeballs on the day....



 He looks like a character from a Disney film



My Pappy had a bike like this when he delivered vegetables


 Hello!


 Mr Peanut.


 I think I would suit a little car like this


 They're friends


 For those of you that may not know, this is a Traction Engine! I am determined to own one, and have a boiler suit with my name on the back for when I drive it. I am being perfectly serious when I say this (I was telling my friend the other day and she thought I was joking...) Although again I wouldn't paint mine red, maybe maroon, or navy.



 This is a scale model of one, its a couple of meters long, This might have to be my starting point...

If anyone is interested in Visiting Kettering Vintage Rally and Steam Fair check out their website. Its well worth a visit (you don't have to be a traction engine geek like me) there is loads going on, especially if you like vintage/antique house wares or general bric a brac and you don't mind rooting thorough some boxes of rusty bits.

I bought these few things, for a grand total of three pounds, which now have a lovely new home in my flat.




1 comment: